Another take on avoidance

My 'write' on word of the day came back to me in another way this afternoon. What's it mean when you see someone in a store, oh let's say the bookstore, and you or they quickly duck around the corner to avoid seeing you or you seeing them?

I have been the avoider and the avoidee at times. Today, I was the avoidee. When I do the avoiding, it makes perfect sense. I don't want to be seen in battered clothes that I've been wearing to wash the car or paint the stairs. I really don't want to talk to someone because I'm not in a very good mood and don't really want to make small talk or big talk for that matter. Sometimes, I'm just in a hurry and don't want to spend time catching up with someone.

But, when I am the one being avoided, now that makes me angry, sad and I daresay, depressed. Why would someone want to avoid speaking to me, even just a quick hello? The person looked dressed perfectly and did not appear to be in any hurry, until she saw me, which made this person quickly exit the store. By all appearances it was a complete and utter avoidance (snub).

The bigger lesson here, even though I'm looking for the answer to why someone would purposely avoid speaking to me in public, is avoid and avoidance hold much more meaning in life than the act of avoiding to write or the act of allowing oneself to actually be oneself, if that oneself really knew who they were or are.

Yes, indeed, avoidance.

Comments